Thursday, June 19, 2008

Life Bytes

Our hard drive crashed. And I mean CRASHED. We bought an enclosure hoping we could pull the data off the drive and there is nothing there. So, I'm hoping that the directory is wiped but that the data is still there. Either way it's going to be a bitch to recover. All of Paisley's pictures are on there - her birth, the pictures of her being weighed and all the pictures we've taken since then. And of course all of our pictures from Korea, China, Japan, Hawaii, Journalism school and well, pretty much my whole life since it went digital.

Damn. And I had been planning on buying a big external hard drive for back up as soon as Brian started work and we had some money. Typical isn't it? Makes me think I should be getting that glass coverage for the car that I keep thinking about.

We had a wonderful time on the island but I have delayed posting about it because I wanted to load the pics and obviously, that won't be happening for awhile now. Will post about trip when I'm not so mad - all of this could have been avoided if I had just backed everything up. Procrastination is an ugly thing. Which is why I am putting off my vacation post. Somethings never change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SO sorry to hear this! I don't know if I can help with the HD recovery; it's not my specialty, but there are some simple things to try and if you or Brian would like me to, I'd be glad to help.

As an alternative to an external hard drive, you might consider Mozy.com. $5.00/month gets you unlimited backup to their servers. I have an alternative arrangement but people I trust love the service. It will take a LONG time to back up the first time (i.e. days), but incremental daily backups will be much faster and they'll be accessible from anywhere, so you won't need to lug an external hard drive if you're traveling.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear of this and let me know if you'd like me to attempt a recovery. In the end you may need to use a recovery service, but we can attempt the easy stuff first.