Tuesday, September 07, 2004

I was stopped on the street today by two old women intent on touching my face. It was pouring rain and I was running late for work but they started to talk to me while we were waiting for the crosswalk sign to turn green and I couldn’t very well walk away. They asked me questions in Korean and I responded with my well rehearsed smile and nod. They kept reaching out and touching my cheeks. Their hands were old and wrinkled and very soft. They clucked and smiled toothless smiles and I let them touch to their hearts content. When would they ever touch a white girls face again? It was one of those moments in life where differences in age, culture and race seems to disappear in one emotion or one common experience. I looked into their eyes and when they turned to walk the opposite direction from me I felt warm and full of love. I had missed the crosswalk and was late for work but it was well worth it.

No comments: