Friday, August 20, 2004

I drank maekolli, a traditional Korean rice wine, with Mr. Lee tonight. Brian went to play cards with the "boys" and so I had the house to myself. I went downstairs to buy a beer (because if what the boys do is sit around and play cards, then what the girls do when they are left alone is drink beer and watch Sex in the City) and ended up drinking some wine concoction out of a rusted teapot in the company of two intoxicated men who don't speak English. Well that's not entirely true. They can say "Korea Number One!" and "ping-pong". Let's just say that I have never been so enthusiastic about ping-pong. The wine was good, the company, a little awkward. Not as awkward as the last paragraph but close enough.

I joined a gym this week and I am really loving it. Tonight after work I went to a stretch class. I was joined by about a dozen middle-aged women and two men wearing dress pants. The teacher is about the same age as me and has decided that we will be friends. I knew this was the case when she started to rub my feet during the relaxation part of the class. At first I thought it was just part of your typical Korean stretch class but then I noticed that nobody else's feet were being rubbed. Hmmm...the squeaky wheel gets the grease?

No comments: