Sunday, August 22, 2004

Today we went to Seomun Market and, dare I say, to Wal-Mart. From one extreme to another! Seomun Market is a traditional Korean market and sold, well, everything. Seafood, vegetables, fruit, herbs, clothing, textiles, housewares, animals...if you can imagine it, it was there. We found the area where all of the animals were waiting to be slaughtered (our noses found it, our feet followed...reluctantly). There were ducks, rabbits, chicken, kittens and puppies. It was really amazing to see. (Sorry, I have pictures but they're not up yet...I will link to them soon.) It was pouring today but even in the greyness the market was a dazzling display of colours. And sounds and smells. I brought my MD and managed to catch some of the sounds...now if I can just find a speaker cord in this country I can do some editing. Anyway...different story. (We have narrowly escaped a tangent.) We walked around the market and bought a few odds and ends. I bought a pair of Nike pants for $10. I'm pretty sure they aren't Nike since they are "made in the USA". Oh, the irony. I come to Korea to buy Nike that claims to have been made in the States. What a crazy world.

After the market we went to Wal-Mart. We weren't too sure what to expect but it was pretty standard and actually less abrasive then I expected. It's the only Wal-Mart in the world that sells locally made products.

Daegu was one of the host cities of the 2002 Soccer World Cup and the evidence can be seen all over the city. Everywhere you look there are soccer-ball shaped garbage cans and flower pots. It's hilarious. It's interesting because you never see the after-effects of a huge event like the World Cup or the Olympics. All of the primping and preening and what's left at the end of it? A billion dollar deficit and thousands of rusting soccer ball garbage cans.

No comments: