Tuesday, August 17, 2004

A typhoon hit Daegu last night. I knew something was going on because the creepy-nuclear war speakers that hang on poles over every street were blaring something in a soothing voice. Probably something like, "Don't panic..stay indoors..." etc. What concerned me is that they could have been calling for an immediate evacuation in the face of a Armageddon-sized Tsunami and I would have been thinking how quaint it all was. Yeesh.

I went to work today and it was pouring rain (what else would it be pouring I suppose). The men in Korea smoke like chimneys (women smoke too but it is not acceptable for them to be seen smoking in public)and I got such a kick out of watching them smoke today. One hand on a giant umbrella, the other holding the cigarette. It's the most natural thing in the world.

Just an observation: Couples wear matching shirts here. I don't mean the "my husband and I entered the Kokanee Seniors golf contest and so we both have the same shirt" kind of thing, I mean real couples. A lot of them. Young couples, even cool shirts. Matching. Just so you know.

No comments: