Thursday, August 05, 2004

Tonight when we were walking home we met a group of kids. They were out playing in the park...it was a beautiful summer evening. Everywhere we go here we see children. They play on the streets, they take taxis downtown. It's not that they are neglected or mistreated, that is just the way it is. The kids came up and started talking to us...the typical giggles and mumbled Hello's. Some of them were quite good at English and could carry on a conversation. They are always pleased to hear we are from Canada. One young boy spoke no English at all but his ability to mimic was unbelievable. After hearing an English word only a couple of times he could rattle it off as though he had been speaking it all of his life. They were all very cute. We took some pictures with them and they had a blast looking at themselves on the LCD viewfinder. We had a blast too.

The other day I was walking down the street and two young girls were sitting on a bench on the side of the road. They were watching me (not at all unusual around here...I am tall, white and I have red hair. It's a no brainer really.) As I walked by, one of the girls yelled "I love you!" to which I responded "I love you too." They erupted in fits of giggles. I don't really understand it but that's okay. It made me smile.

No comments: